These days you get an awful lot for free from PDF viewers – both Foxit PDF Reader and Nitro Reader now sport powerful tools for creating PDFs as well as viewing them – but there’s still a market for commercial tools like Foxit’s PhantomPDF.
The suite provides everything you need to convert, rearrange and edit PDFs as well as create them – whether using the program’s built-in support for dozens of documents, Office plug-ins or simply the virtual PDF print driver it includes as a catch-all for more obscure documents too.
PhantomPDF’s conversion tools make it easy to turn PDFs into Office documents, RTF, HTML, plain text and image formats. There’s built-in OCR for creating searchable and selectable PDF documents and basic tools for editing text, images and page order.
Business-friendly tools include form design on top of the usual support for filling in and saving form data. Documents can also be secured using encryption and permission controls.
PhantomPDF also includes all the functionality found in the free Foxit Reader program, so you can highlight and annotate pages, add stamps and even insert handwritten signatures via a scanned image or by using the freehand tool supplied.
New features added in version 7 include:
- Shared Review. PhantomPDF Business users can initiate a Shared Review to include Foxit Reader (desktop) and MobilePDF Business (mobile) users.
- Outlook Add-in. Convert emails directly to PDF from the Microsoft® Outlook® application. Emails can be automatically archived or outputted into a PDF Portfolio.
- Document Sanitization. Removes undesired information from your document before publishing.
- PDF Portfolios. Enables PDF Portfolio creation and editing.
- Productivity Improvements. Enhancements for more effective editing and annotating.
- Enhanced RMS Security. New capabilities for dynamic revocation, analyzing logs, additional access rights control, and Outlook integration.
- 2D Barcode Display. Enables 2D barcode generated from Ultraforms® enabled fillable PDF forms.