Mac not performing as fast as it should? Struggling to pinpoint the cause of spinning beachballs of death when you log in? Worried about security? These problems – and others – are what MacBooster promises to solve.
It’s basically a tool for cleaning out, speeding up and optimising your Mac, but while the interface is very much a user-friendly one, there’s some major shenanigans going on behind the scenes that require a more advanced mind than the beginner-friendly frontend might suggest.
Start by clicking Clean and Boost for example and four sections – Internet Security, System Cleanup, System Optimization and Disk Clean – are scanned for errors, threats and redundant files. You’re shown how much space will be removed or how many issues require fixing, then find yourself invited to the click the Fix button.
Doing so is a dangerous game – there’s no backup offered, which means any changes you wreak are permanent. Instead, make sure you click the > button next to each category to carefully review the findings. Sadly there’s little guidance here, which again makes it hard to beginners to find their feet.
The app also comes with a Performance Boost tool, which basically lets you shutdown low-level services to speed up your Mac further – again, there’s no real help offered. You’ll also find a toolbox containing five more tools: memory cleaner, duplicates finder, large files cleaner, uninstaller and startup optimization.
There are plenty of cleaning options here, covering a wide range of areas, and if you know what you’re doing then MacBooster is a potentially useful ally in keeping the detritus away from your Mac. We’re not as convinced by its virus-scanning tools, which seem bolted on somewhat, and the lack of any backup mechanism to protect your system in case something goes wrong, coupled with a relatively steep price tag, make it hard to recommend without reservation. But if you’re a power user looking to deep-clean your Mac, give the 14-day trial a whirl.
What's new in v5.0?
- New UI - redesigned for better interactive experience
- Defragment - new feature to optimize and fix your disks with one click
- Booster - added Memory Cleaner to simplify the speed-up process
- Mini - added real-time monitor for network speed and notification for scan and fix result
- Security Risks - reintegrated and optimized for more secure Mac
- Cleaner - supported cleaning to iTunes backups, broken login items, iTunes cache
- Tools - enhanced Duplicated Finder and Photo Sweeper
- Updated multiple languages