Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 is the company's mainstream security suite, offering antivirus, firewall, browsing protection, parental controls, antispam, password management and more.
There are plenty of features to explore, but a well-designed interface means most common tasks are available with a single click, while wider groups of functions are accessible via three main tiles (Protection, Privacy, Tools). Even first-time users will quickly find what they need.
The big addition this time is ransomware protection. The suite monitors access to files in your main user folders (and anywhere else you like), detecting and blocking unauthorised attempts to delete or tamper with your files.
There's a strong focus on ease of use. Bitdefender's Wallet can fill web forms with user names, passwords, even credit card details, often allowing you to pay online in a single step. Bitdefender's Vulnerability Scanner not only finds missing patches on your PC, it also provides links to help you download and install them.
Smart performance technology sees the suite automatically optimise your system for different situations. Play a game and Bitdefender enables the Game Profile, disabling unnecessary services and working to speed up your PC. The Movie Profile kicks in when you're watching a movie, optimising the suite's settings and enhancing visual effects. And if your battery is running low, the Battery Mode Profile optimises Internet Security and Windows settings to save energy.
Bitdefender's real strength comes in the protection it provides, though. AV-Comparatives' Real-World Protection tests generally place it in the top 3, but don't take our word for it - check out the latest results here.
What's new in build 28?
• FIXED: Rare main process crash generated by OneClick Optimizer
• FIXED: Rare main process crash generated by TrafficLight
• FIXED: Rare crash caused by the Agent
• FIXED: Several User Interface display and localization issues
• FIXED: Firewall contacting the cloud in a loop
• FIXED: Inability to disable SafePay
• FIXED: Rare bug in selecting the best server for the user
• IMPROVED: Agent's functionality has been augmented
• IMPROVED: Product's ability to communicate with the cloud
• IMPROVED: Central's ability to handle subscriptions
• IMPROVED: SafePay's compatibility with other applications using overlays
• IMPROVED: Product's ability to handle special characters when whitelisting websites
• IMPROVED: Parental Control was renamed as Parental Advisor