When you next get bored with your home then you could try randomly rearranging the furniture, until you find a layout that appeals. But if that sounds too much like hard work, then we may have a better idea. Sweet Home 3D is a free, open-source interior design tool that helps you plan out everything from a revamped room to entire new house, and includes a 3D preview of how your design will look, so you can get everything just right before you start work.
If you've tried similar tools before then you'll know that they can be very tricky to use, but Sweet Home 3D is different. Everything you need to "dress" a room is immediately available in a tree view: chairs, stools, bookcases, desks, sinks, beds, baths and more. All you have to do is choose what you need, drag and drop it onto the room area, and position the object to suit your needs.
As you work, the program can display and update an "aerial view" of your room, which alone gives you a very good idea of the layout. But if you want the true 3D effect, just click 3D View > Virtual Visit, then use the mouse to move around the room and see how it looks from different angles.
If Sweet Home 3D doesn't contain all the objects you need, then it's easy to add more. The Furniture Import Wizard can import 3D objects in OBJ, LWS, or 3DS formats, and there are plenty of compatible free models available online.
And if you want to share your plan with someone else, then the program can print it directly to a PDF document. Or you're able to export it as an SVG file, which may let them customise the design with their own ideas.
Sweet Home 3D v5.7 changes include (see the full changelog for more):
- Added a preview component to file choosers used to select an image under Windows and Linux.
- Managed user defined furniture properties added to catalogs read by Sweet Home 3D and read/saved by Furniture Library Editor.
- Fixed the visibility of horizontally rotated objects at upper levels.
- Fixed the size in the plan of a copied-pasted object which is horizontally rotated.
- Fixed a bug that prevented to group unresizable furniture or read a SH3D file saved with a previous version which contained such objects.
- Fixed the display of furniture catalog and furniture list when scrolling under Mac OS X 10.13 with Java 6.
- Fixed Window menu management under Mac OS X with Java 8.
- Replaced JRE 8u152 by JRE 8u162 in Sweet Home 3D installers bundled with Java.
- Converted CVS repository on SourceForge.net to SVN (sorry for the dead links to sweethome3d.cvs.sf.net server that this change implies).
- Other minor bugs fixes and enhancements.