UltraEdit is a very powerful programmer's editor. Supremely customisable, it comes with multiple prebuilt Environments that allow you to set up the program just as you'd like.
The Programmer/ Developer environment adds syntax highlighting for more than 20 languages, while code folding helps to ensure that even the most complex documents remain readable. A dockable function manager assists with navigation, and the XML Manager provides a tree-style view of XML-based documents.
Other environments include Notepad Replacement, which can open files greater than 4GB in size; System Administrator supports FTP/ SFTP, and Telnet/ SSH access; Technical Writer adds column mode editing; and Compare Files quickly locates and highlights the differences between the documents you specify.
If there's no one environment to suit your needs, then it's easy to create one that does. And all environments benefit from a host of high-end editing features, including Unicode support, multiline search and replace, a 100,000 word spell checker, web search toolbar, integrated encryption/ decryption, and a scripting language to automate common tasks.
Version 24.20 brings (changelog):
- Folded code highlighting
- Dramatic performance improvements for Find
- Dramatic performance improvements for hidden lines
- Tab-delimited sort
- Syntax highlighting improvements
- Display improvements
- Status bar "Bytes selected" now reports "Chars selected" instead (mainly for UTF-8 files)
- SSH/Telnet and FTP now prompt for user name when not set
- Reverted accelerator keys for File Change Detection dialog buttons
- Addressed XML / HTML tag highlighting issues with Asian characters
- Addressed several column mode issues when editing multi-byte (Asian) characters
- Addressed issues with file/folder paths containing Unicode characters in .prj files
- Addressed file change detection prompt with time zone change or daylight savings change
- Addressed word wrap issues with non-Latin characters
- Addressed issues with UltraEdit (legacy) and Unix style regular expressions
- Addressed issue with hex insert in files greater than 4 GB