Honeyview is a portable free image viewer from Bandisoft, the developer behind archiving tool Bandizip.
File format support is excellent. Honeyview opens regular formats including BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, PSD, DDS, JXR, WebP, J2K, JP2, TGA, TIFF, PCX, PNM, and PPM, as well as all the main RAW formats (DNG, CR2, CRW, NEF, NRW, ORF, RW2, PEF, SR2, and RAF).
The program has also borrowed a little code from Bandizip, which means it's able to directly view pictures inside archive formats including ZIP, RAR, 7Z, LZH, TAR, ALZ, and EGG.
Whatever you're browsing, Honeyview provides many navigation options. You can move one image forward (or back) by spinning the mouse wheel, clicking Back/ Next buttons or using the arrow keys; Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDn jumps forward or back by 10 images; a scroll bar allows you to jump straight to some preferred position (image 31/44); the Home/ End keys go straight to the first or last image; or one click opens a thumbnail browser to help you find the photo you need.
The core image viewer is impressive, too, with a host of zoom controls, optional EXIF tag display, bookmarking, slideshow support (including transitions) and simple editing tools (resize, rotate). It also has plenty of image processing options - soften, sharpen, flip, gamma compensation, various interpolation types - yet still remains very fast.
There's support for viewing the location of GPS-tagged photos on Google Maps.
Honeyview also provides a "Photo Folder" option where you can store any interesting photos. Set this up to point at whatever folder you like, then start browsing as normal, press Ins when you spot a photo you need, and it's copied to the Photo Folder. A Ctrl+Ins function alternatively moves images to the Photo Folder, and both options can make it easier to sort your pictures.
Version 5.10 changes include:
1. Honeyview now supports the Animation PNG image format (APNG).
2. Improved accuracy of the playback time when starting a slideshow.
3. Some image files switched slowly when pressing the [ ] key in a certain folder which has more than 1,000 archive files.
4. Added options, "Do not display the animation-info control" and "Do not display the zoom-info control".
5. Improved the pop-up menu processing method.
6. Display GIF files even if the header information is incorrect.