WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) that can be used for anything from a personal blog to a full business site.
The program is based around PHP and MySQL, but you don't have to a web development expert to get everything to work. Support for templates and themes mean you're able to customise the look and feel of your site quickly, without complex coding.
An extensive feature list includes full blog post comment support (with Trackback and Pingback), with robust spam protection; a full registration system so you can optionally have people create profiles before they can comment; there's an option for password-protected blog posts that will be hidden from the public; and there's easy importing from other blog platforms, including Movable Type, Textpattern, Greymatter, Blogger, and b2.
Need even more functionality? Take a look at the plugins - there are thousands freely available, many of which are amazingly powerful. BuddyPress is a perfect example. Install this any you can almost immediately create a custom social networking site of your own. Your users are able to register, create profiles, post personal messages, add friends, create and come together in groups, post directly to their Facebook and Twitter streams, and more. It's hugely comprehensive, and can be extended further with plugins of its own.
WordPress 4.5, codenamed "Coleman", ships with these core improvements:
- Inline Linking. Stay focused on your writing with a less distracting interface that keeps you in place and allows you to easily link to your content.
- Formatting Shortcuts. Do you enjoy using formatting shortcuts for lists and headings? Now they’re even more useful, with horizontal lines and <code>.
- Live Responsive Previews. Make sure your site looks great on all screens! Preview mobile, tablet, and desktop views directly in the customizer.
- Custom Logos. Themes can now support logos for your business or brand. Try it out with Twenty Sixteen and Twenty Fifteen in the Site Identity section of the customizer.
- Smart Image Resizing. Generated images now load up to 50% faster with no noticeable quality loss. It’s really cool.
- Script Loader Improvements. Better support has been added for script header/footer dependencies. New wp_add_inline_script() enables adding extra code to registered scripts.
- Better Embed Templates. Embed templates have been split into parts and can be directly overridden by themes via the template hierarchy.