Thunderbird is an email client from Mozilla, the organisation better known for the Firefox web browser which has a great deal to offer. In addition to handling multiple email accounts, the program can also be used to subscribe to RSS feeds and access online newsgroups and a new tabbed interface makes it easy to jump between individual emails or different aspects of the program.
There are new tools available to make it easier to manage a burgeoning inbox Email archival makes it possible to remove messages from your main inbox while retaining them for future reference, and the advanced search facility takes the hard works out of tracking down messages using a keyword filtering and timeline system.
As is the case with Firefox, Thunderbird supports addons can be used to customise and extend the features of the program. Getting started with the email client has been greatly simplified thanks to automatic account setting detection and nice touches such as the appearance of a warning if an email is written which includes the word 'attached' but no attachment is added make Thunderbird a joy to use.
With advanced security, phishing protection and automatic updating, coupled with countless other features which are simply not found in other email clients, Thunderbird is the ideal program to handle your email correspondence and much more.
What's new in 45 (see release notes for more):
- NEW. Add a Correspondents column combining Sender and Recipient
- NEW. Much better support for XMPP chatrooms and commands.
- NEW. Remote content exceptions: Improved options to add exceptions.
- NEW. Implement option to always use HTML formatting to prevent unexpected format loss when converting messages to plain text.
- NEW. Use OpenStreetmap for maps (even allow the user to choose from list of map services)
- NEW. Allow spell checking and dictionary selection in the subject line
- NEW. Allow editing of From when composing a message.
- NEW. Add dropdown in compose to allow specific setting of font size.
- NEW. Return/Enter in composer will now insert a new paragraph by default (shift-Enter will insert a line break)
- NEW. Allow copying of name and email address from the message header of an email
- NEW. Mail.ru supports OAuth authentication.
- FIX. Lots of fixes (see release notes above for info)