Now that iOS 6 is no longer home to an integrated version of YouTube, it should come as no surprise that Google has released a standalone version of the app. But what we have on offer here is far more than just a replica of the feature that were to be found in older version of iOS – there are plenty of new options and features that help to make this a very impressive online video app.
The look of the app has been completely rethought, so if you are familiar with the old built in version of YouTube you’ll find that things look rather different. You can perform searches in the usual text based way, but voice searching is also available. There are a range of options for sharing – you can share the videos you like through Google+, Facebook and other services – and the navigation through channels, favorites, search results and other content is a delight.
While there is a great deal to praise in the app, there are also a couple of problems here and there. One of the most notable issues is that this appears to be an app that is concerned only with consumption. You are free to browse through YouTube’s online content to your heart’s content, but if you have shot some amazing footage with your iPhone’s camera you’ll be disappointed to discover that there is no way to upload it to your account.
What's New in Version 11.45
• Ever have trouble remembering if you've seen a video or how far you made it through the video? We have added a progress bar to all previously watched thumbnails that lets you know how far you made it through the video. Partially watched videos will resume from where you left off.
New design that makes it easier to use YouTube:
• Find your watch history, uploads, purchases, and playlists in the new library tab
• Reach tabs with less effort at the bottom of the app
• Understand tabs more easily with titles below each icon
• Switch between tabs from any screen
• See more videos with a smaller navigation bar
• Switch accounts, view notifications, and manage settings by tapping on your avatar at the top right of the screen