The days when major browser updates were few and far between are over. Nowadays, it’s de rigueur for browser manufacturers to speed up development, which means opening up less stable builds to the masses in order to get them bug-checked as quickly as possible.
Opera is no exception, and Opera Developer adopts the same approach to Firefox Nightly in providing a completely separate installation of the latest unstable version of Opera for people to road-test without affecting their day-to-day browsing.
The reasoning is simple: you get to try out the new features without affecting your existing installation, so if the developmental version is too buggy for your tastes, you can use your tried and trusted version, no problem. And because Opera Developer updates as soon as the latest development build is released, you can keep checking back regularly to see what’s up and coming and whether the bugs you’ve encountered have been fixed yet.
You’ll be able to differentiate between Stable, Next and Developer builds by the colour of the program icon: Opera’s final stable build icon remains red, Next is a silver grey, while Opera Developer's icon is blue, meaning it’ll be safe for even relatively inexperienced users to try out new features before they become generally available.
Note that this is a very early preview of Opera.
What's new (or planned) in Opera Developer 35 compared to Beta 34?
- Simple settings section, so that the most common settings are all together on one page,
- Further downloads improvements. Opera should ask you if you really want to close it and stop currently ongoing download,
- Sync. Annoying duplicates creation should finally be solved in this cycle,
- Easier way to turn bookmarks bar on/off. Currently this setting is so hidden that many users complain we don’t have bookmarks bar at all,
- Something we internally call “Mute me baby” – a way to easier kill annoying sound from the browser,
- Addressbar on-click UI suggestions – add a way to display only speed dials there,
- Move News to Speed Dial – place News below the SD tiles. This is initial version, there are UI glitches and lack of your own sources addition. You can expect more enhancements to come.
Note that not all these features are fully live in Developer v35, but are planned features for the v35 cycle.