When you next get bored with your home then you could try randomly rearranging the furniture, until you find a layout that appeals. But if that sounds too much like hard work, then we may have a better idea. Sweet Home 3D is a free, open-source interior design tool that helps you plan out everything from a revamped room to entire new house, and includes a 3D preview of how your design will look, so you can get everything just right before you start work.
If you've tried similar tools before then you'll know that they can be very tricky to use, but Sweet Home 3D is different. Everything you need to "dress" a room is immediately available in a tree view: chairs, stools, bookcases, desks, sinks, beds, baths and more. All you have to do is choose what you need, drag and drop it onto the room area, and position the object to suit your needs.
As you work, the program can display and update an "aerial view" of your room, which alone gives you a very good idea of the layout. But if you want the true 3D effect, just click 3D View > Virtual Visit, then use the mouse to move around the room and see how it looks from different angles.
If Sweet Home 3D doesn't contain all the objects you need, then it's easy to add more. The Furniture Import Wizard can import 3D objects in OBJ, LWS, or 3DS formats, and there are plenty of compatible free models available online.
And if you want to share your plan with someone else, then the program can print it directly to a PDF document. Or you're able to export it as an SVG file, which may let them customise the design with their own ideas.
Sweet Home 3D v6.3 changes include (see the full changelog for more):
- Added the Select object / Toggle selection menu item in the contextual menu of the 3D view to select or deselect the object under the mouse cursor with a right click.
- Enabled reordering selected items in the furniture list with a drag-and-drop.
- Added temporary dimension lines along a resized wall.
- Added temporary dimension lines during the move of a room point with a diagonal dimension to allow triangulation.
Increased the maximum scale in the plan.
- Added support for math expressions in values entered in plan tooltips.
- Optimized the handling of 3D models with repeated small parts like some trees found on 3D Warehouse.
- Improved the management of Sweet Home 3D window size after opening a file saved with its window maximized under macOS.
- Fixed some computing issues on 3D polylines with very large coordinates and wall sides with a null length.
- Fixed double actions provoked by shortcuts on some non Latin keyboards.
- Fixed an issue where some menu items didn't appear after a right click in the plan.
- Fixed color setting on lines in Sweet Home 3D JS Viewer.
- Other minor bugs fixes and enhancements.
A simple way to create clear and attractive room layouts