One of the most common reasons for wanting to keep the contents of two folders synchronised is to ensure that a backup copy of important files is also available. However, there are numerous other uses for synchronisation including using network storage to keep data synchronised between multiple computers.
File syncing tools have a tendency to be very complicated affairs, but this is not the case with FreeFileSync. As the name would suggest, the program is available free of charge and it makes light work of ensuring that you always have copies of the latest version of the files you are working with in the folder you need them.
A simple, unclutter interface means that setting up folder pairs is quick and painless and there are a range of file synchronisation options available. Files can be compared using the date of last access, or by performing a bit by bit comparison. There is no limit on the number of files that can be included in a synchronisation job so the program is suitable for even the most demanding of user.
Batch jobs can be created to help automate the process of synchronising a large number of folder pairs, and the option to move files to the Recycle Bin rather than simply deleting them, means that a safety net is always available. With fast operation and fast, simple setup, FreeFileSync enables you to synchronise files free of fuss.
What's new in 6.11?
- Updated Recycle Bin access for Windows 10
- New command line option "-edit" to load configuration without executing
- Case-insensitive command line argument evaluation
- New Explorer context menu options for ffs_gui, ffs_batch files
- Added sync variant to folder pair info in log file
- Don't process and log folder pair if nothing to do except writing DB file
- Fixed liblzma.5.dylib not found during startup (OS X 10.8)
- Added version info to application bundles (OS X)
- Fixed incorrect warning when configuration contains empty folder pairs
- Replaced misleading inotify error message "No space left on device" (Linux)
- Fixed FreeFileSync launcher blocking app folder move (OS X)
- Updated default main dialog layout
- Fixed async error evaluation when creating volume shadow copies
- Keep user interface responsive while creating a volume shadow copy
- Fixed error when starting asynchronously from a batch script
- Show progress of writing log files
- Fixed updated file being left deleted when copying permission failed