SMPlayer is a compact but powerful media player, based on the MPlayer package.
The program can be used to open and play video and audio files YouTube videos, DVDs, VCDs, audio CDs and more.
But that's just the start. If you start playing a video file but have to go do something else, then when you open that file again SMPlayer will resume at the point where you left off, with whatever settings you had at the time (the appropriate volume, say): it remembers all your settings.
SMPlayer can search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
There are many different control options.
On video alone, for instance, there's an Equalizer that allows you to tweak contrast, brightness, hue, saturation and gamma.
There are filters to sharpen, blur or deinterlace movies, and remove noise.
You can rotate, flip or mirror the image; change playback speed in many ways (plus or minus 4%, say); take multiple screenshots in sequence, and automatically, and more.
And a detailed preferences dialog helps you customise every aspect of the program, from the file types you'd like it to handle, to keyboard shortcuts and mouse wheel functions, and a range of useful advanced video and performance-related settings.
Version 16.4.0 brings (Changelog):
- The Windows installer now includes mpv as well.
- Now it's easier to switch between MPlayer and mpv. (Preferences -> General, select either MPlayer or mpv as multimedia engine).
- The extrastereo filter works again when using mpv.
- Possibility to use the VLC shortcuts. (Preferences -> Keyboard and mouse, click the load button, select vlc.keys).
- Possibility to enable mouse gestures (when the mouse is dragged up or down in the video window the volume changes, if dragged left or right it changes the time position). You can enable this option in Preferences -> Keyboard and mouse -> Mouse -> Drag function: seek and volume.
- A fix for saving bookmarks.
- The option for streaming sites in Preferences -> Network is different now, and allows these values: disabled, auto, YouTube and mpv+youtube-dl.
- An animated icon has been added in the status bar to indicate when the player is buffering.
- A new layout is used to display the media information (Options -> View info and properties).