SMPlayer is a compact but powerful media player, based on the MPlayer package.
The program can be used to open and play video and audio files YouTube videos, DVDs, VCDs, audio CDs and more.
But that's just the start. If you start playing a video file but have to go do something else, then when you open that file again SMPlayer will resume at the point where you left off, with whatever settings you had at the time (the appropriate volume, say): it remembers all your settings.
SMPlayer can search and download subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
There are many different control options.
On video alone, for instance, there's an Equalizer that allows you to tweak contrast, brightness, hue, saturation and gamma.
There are filters to sharpen, blur or deinterlace movies, and remove noise.
You can rotate, flip or mirror the image; change playback speed in many ways (plus or minus 4%, say); take multiple screenshots in sequence, and automatically, and more.
And a detailed preferences dialog helps you customise every aspect of the program, from the file types you'd like it to handle, to keyboard shortcuts and mouse wheel functions, and a range of useful advanced video and performance-related settings.
Version 15.90 brings (Changelog):
- Support for the 3D stereo filter.
- We added support for mpv, which is a player based on mplayer with new features and bug fixes.
- Now it's possible to select a secondary subtitle track which is displayed on top of the screen (mpv only).
- New option to set a template for screenshots (mpv only).
- Now it's possible to play videos from streaming sites (besides Youtube) like DailyMotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more (mpv only).
- Option to step back one frame (mpv only).
- The Windows installer now allows to choose the playback engine to install: mplayer or mpv.
- Better support for YouTube (VEVO videos).
- Possibility to set a proxy.
- New action (assigned by default to key "I") shows the current playback time, total time and percentage, for 2 seconds on the OSD.
- Add the possibility to use the mouse buttons for "next chapter" and "previous chapter".
- New option to delete a file in the playlist from the filesystem.
- Support for MPRIS2.
- Possibility to compile SMPlayer without MPlayer or mpv support.
- The new H2O theme is now the default theme.