There is no shortage of programs that can be used to download torrents, but BitComet has a combination of features which make it worth checking out. As well as support for standard torrent files, the program can make use of magnet links and downloads that have been paused can be quickly resumed without the need for time consuming file scans.
As well as torrents, the program can also be used to perform HTTP and FTP download, with support for multiple mirrors helping to speed up downloads. uPNP port mapping is automatically configured so there is no need to worry about not been able to connect to other downloaders.
Many file types, including AVI and WMV, can be previewed before a download has completely finished, and intelligent automatic file renaming makes it easier to organise your files. Download prioritising can be used to force one particular download to finish before others, and download and upload speeds will be automatically configured to suit your internet connection.
The program interface includes links to a number of popular torrent sites so you can perform searches without having to fire up your web browser. Tagging and favouriting options make it easy to bookmark sites and torrents for use at a later date.
What's new in 1.55 (see changelog for more)?
- GUI Improved: add new task categories "Uncompleted" and more in left Channel pane, which can be switch by context menu
-GUI Improved: add RSS feeds in left Channel pane
- GUI Improved: Statistics pane displays listening port status of IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP separately
- GUI Improved: Trackers pane displays peer number from PEX
- GUI Improved: Peers pane displays downloaded and uploaded size of disconnected peers
- GUI Improved: new Long-Term Seeding disk cache setting in Option window
- GUI Improved: Statistics pane displays disk cache info of BitTorrent transfer, HTTP download and Long-Term Seeding separately
- GUI Improved: choose KB/s or MB/s as speed unit automatically
- GUI Improved: when sort task by time, display tasks of unknown time as earliest
- GUI Improved: identify video file type of .webm and .ogv
- GUI Bugfix: toolbar display incorrectly after change Windows UI theme
- GUI Bugfix: tooltip of task summary will show up even when window not in foreground
- GUI Bugfix: occasionally crash when display popup window of task download progress
- Core Improve: support Long-Term Seeding in IPv6 network
- Core Improve: optimize the disk cache for Long-Term Seeding
- Core Improve: add UDP incoming status detect for listening port
- Core Improve: report IPv4, IPv6 address to other peer in dual-stack network, to establish double way connections
- Core Bugfix: decrease UI lag when executable file download finished
- Core Bugfix: too many tracker connections when multiple BitTorrent tasks download at the same time
- Core Bugfix: improve stability of Long-Term Seeding