These days you get an awful lot for free from PDF viewers – both Foxit PDF Reader and Nitro Reader now sport powerful tools for creating PDFs as well as viewing them – but there’s still a market for commercial tools like Foxit’s PhantomPDF.
The suite provides everything you need to convert, rearrange and edit PDFs as well as create them – whether using the program’s built-in support for dozens of documents, Office plug-ins or simply the virtual PDF print driver it includes as a catch-all for more obscure documents too.
PhantomPDF’s conversion tools make it easy to turn PDFs into Office documents, RTF, HTML, plain text and image formats. There’s built-in OCR for creating searchable and selectable PDF documents and basic tools for editing text, images and page order.
Business-friendly tools include form design on top of the usual support for filling in and saving form data. Documents can also be secured using encryption and permission controls.
PhantomPDF also includes all the functionality found in the free Foxit Reader program, so you can highlight and annotate pages, add stamps and even insert handwritten signatures via a scanned image or by using the freehand tool supplied.
An easy-to-use, compact, fast and very powerful PDF authoring suite
What's new in v10.0 (see the release notes for more)?
- Foxit Admin Console (a separately orderable cloud-based service) provides IT administrators the ability to easily manage large numbers of PhantomPDF licenses.
- Foxit Update Server (a separately orderable cloud-based service) provides IT the ability to better manage and automate the software upgrade process and to ensure users upgrade to the exact release that IT has tested, without having to access an external server.
- PhantomPDF Online delivers more features and enhancements.
- A new UI to better match the PhantomPDF Windows user interface, and improved support on mobile devices.
- Fill & Sign provides a convenient workflow of filling flat forms (i.e. non-interactive) and quick signing by typing or drawing your signature, or using an image. With the Fill & Sign tools, you can add text and other symbols anywhere on a flat form.
- Create USPTO-ready PDF documents using any creation method.
- Modify backgrounds, watermarks, and headers/footers on multiple PDFs at once through batch Add.
- Additional GPO settings for enterprise administration.
- Multiple enhancements to bookmark and tag editing and reading
- More functions in Action Wizard, including support for everything in Adobe Acrobat’s default actions.
- New actions include: Save As, Remove hidden info, view logs, batch conversion, etc.
- Display all comments in a desired font for better accessibility
- Classify and protect with labels in Microsoft Azure Information Protection (AIP)
- More seamless integration with ECM
- More preference options for Advanced Search
- PDF Optimizer improvements
- Improvements for indexing
- Support more actions in a PDF portfolio
- OCR enhancements
- Automatically search all instances of a text string and then highlight them.
- Better support for 4K and other high-resolution displays.
- Add an option to embed page thumbnails into documents, which can make the thumbnails appear faster in large PDFs.
- Adds search patterns that are commonly used in Canada for the Advanced Search and Search & Redact features.