You probably have more than enough music players already, but if none of them quite do it for you then you might want to spend a little time trying Winyl - it's really very good.
After a short download and speedy launch, Winyl will ask for the location of your music folders. Point it to the right place, it'll import your current tracks and albums, and in a few seconds you'll be ready to go: a simple tree interface allows you to view your collection by artists, albums, years, genres, folders and more. Pick something, double-click and it'll start playing.
The main interface is so compact that you might wonder what else you can do, but look more closely. There are tiny bars at the bottom of window which represent your place in the current track, and the player's volume - just click to change. And if you right-click the bar at the top or bottom of the screen you'll find a menu with many more options.
The program can create or import playlists, for instance (M3U/ M3U8, PLS, ASX, XSPF). There's an equalizer, with a pile of presets. An even more compact mini-player. Loads of configuration options. And if for some reason you don't like the interface, there are a few skins you can choose to reconfigure it - you can even make the program look more like iTunes, or Windows Media Player.
And yet, despite all this, Winyl remains tiny and undemanding. Even after an age of running in the background on our test PC, as we tweaked every setting and explored every dialog, it still consumed barely more than 21MB RAM: this isn't a program which is going to get in your way.
What's new in v3.0.1?
- Fixed crash when reading MP3 files with corrupted tags.
What's new in v3.0?
- Added song lyrics.
- Added portable version.
- Added Flat and Flat White skins* (new default skin)
- Added radio stations.
- Added new more accurate component for reading/writing tags.
- Added support of cover art and lyrics in tag editor.
- Added support for aiff, opus and speex file formats.
- Added support for reading/writing tags for all formats, including wav.
- Added support for multiple values in tags, multiple genres, artists etc.
- Added Composer item to the library view (disabled by default).
- Improved performance.
- Fixed bugs.