CherryTree is a hierarchical note-taking application for brainstorming, planning, creating to-do lists, managing tasks, and generally keeping yourself organised.
This works much like many similar programs. You'll create a few "nodes" - folders on a tree - to represent some structure (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c etc). Each node is effectively a separate page where you can enter whatever content you like. This might be text notes, links, images, tables, lists, files and more, each with a host of formatting options.
The core editor had many more features than we expected. Spell Check, subscript/ superscript, H1/ H2/ H3 toggling, case change commands, syntax highlighting for many common languages, there's a lot here (although Spell Check may have to be enabled from Settings > Rich Text). And just about everything has its own keyboard shortcut for extra speed.
Important nodes may be bookmarked to help you find them later. Although if you forget, that may not be a problem: a capable Search tool - with regular expression support - will quickly track down what you need.
By default CherryTree neatly saves you work as a single XML file or SQLite database, optionally password-protecting it to maintain your privacy.
The program also works well with similar note-taking apps, though, importing data from EssentialPIM, Gnote, KeepNote, Mempad, TreePad, Zim and more, or exporting your documents to PDF, HTML or plain TXT.
• implemented configurability of most of the keyboard shortcuts (few of them cannot be changed)
• implemented quick access to last visited nodes with configurable number of buttons on the node name header
• implemented the possibility to select from a list the default icon for all the (non code) nodes in the tree; code nodes have by default explicit icons related to the programming language
• implemented the possibility for any node to set an icon from a list
• implemented the possibility for any node to set color and boldness for the node name
• implemented control of the vertical space around lines (work by bfloch)
• implemented the possibility to disable the smart quotes auto replacement
• implemented the option to have the links underlined or not
• implemented the tree node action “move right” to make a node son of the above sibling; taking shortcut Shift+Right
• implemented the possibility at mouse click on the node to expand it and to have the focus moved to the text
• implemented the import from RedNotebook
• added in the preferences dialog the possibility to reset to the default values the toolbar and the special characters