CherryTree is a hierarchical note-taking application for brainstorming, planning, creating to-do lists, managing tasks, and generally keeping yourself organised.
This works much like many similar programs. You'll create a few "nodes" - folders on a tree - to represent some structure (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c etc). Each node is effectively a separate page where you can enter whatever content you like. This might be text notes, links, images, tables, lists, files and more, each with a host of formatting options.
The core editor had many more features than we expected. Spell Check, subscript/ superscript, H1/ H2/ H3 toggling, case change commands, syntax highlighting for many common languages, there's a lot here (although Spell Check may have to be enabled from Settings > Rich Text). And just about everything has its own keyboard shortcut for extra speed.
Important nodes may be bookmarked to help you find them later. Although if you forget, that may not be a problem: a capable Search tool - with regular expression support - will quickly track down what you need.
By default CherryTree neatly saves you work as a single XML file or SQLite database, optionally password-protecting it to maintain your privacy.
The program also works well with similar note-taking apps, though, importing data from EssentialPIM, Gnote, KeepNote, Mempad, TreePad, Zim and more, or exporting your documents to PDF, HTML or plain TXT.
• Implemented multi-level lists: pressing Tab and Shift+Tab you can increase/decrease the level of the list
• Valid Numbered lists are now “1.”, “1)”, “1-“, “1>”; the multi levels lists cycle between them
• Valid Bulleted lists are now “•”, “◇”, “▪”, “-“, “→”, “⇒”; the multi levels lists cycle between them
• If at the beginning of a line you type “<> ”, this will turn into “◇ “; if you type “:: ” it will turn into “▪ “; if you type “-> ” it will turn into “→ “; if you type “=> ” it will turn into “⇒ “
• added “copy as plain text” and “cut as plain text” with shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+X (stealing the shortcuts for copy and cut current row that become Alt+Shift+C and Alt+Shift+X)
• added node duplication with shortcut Ctrl+Shift+D
• added support for text Justify Fill
• added configurable option to have nodes in bookmarks always visible in the tree
• added a pin icon beside the tree node for nodes in the bookmarks
• added menu item to remove the current node from the bookmarks; assigned shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+B” to add and Ctrl+Alt+B” to remove
• merged the top menu Replace into the top menu Search
• fixed bugs