CherryTree is a hierarchical note-taking application for brainstorming, planning, creating to-do lists, managing tasks, and generally keeping yourself organised.
This works much like many similar programs. You'll create a few "nodes" - folders on a tree - to represent some structure (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c etc). Each node is effectively a separate page where you can enter whatever content you like. This might be text notes, links, images, tables, lists, files and more, each with a host of formatting options.
The core editor had many more features than we expected. Spell Check, subscript/ superscript, H1/ H2/ H3 toggling, case change commands, syntax highlighting for many common languages, there's a lot here (although Spell Check may have to be enabled from Settings > Rich Text). And just about everything has its own keyboard shortcut for extra speed.
Important nodes may be bookmarked to help you find them later. Although if you forget, that may not be a problem: a capable Search tool - with regular expression support - will quickly track down what you need.
By default CherryTree neatly saves you work as a single XML file or SQLite database, optionally password-protecting it to maintain your privacy.
The program also works well with similar note-taking apps, though, importing data from EssentialPIM, Gnote, KeepNote, Mempad, TreePad, Zim and more, or exporting your documents to PDF, HTML or plain TXT.
Version 0.35.5 is a maintenance release, and includes:
• bugfix: conversion from rich text to plain text of links results in the link target only if the link is the sole text copied and is not a link to node
• bugfix: relative links are to be relative to the document folder and not to the executable folder
• bugfix: right click over a selection including a link causes deselection if the right click is over the link
• bugfix in import from tuxcards
• bugfix: paste from firefox on windows with russian language page
• bugfix: paste text in a codebox causing an auto resize, change node without saving before, go back to the older node, the text pasted in the codebox is lost
• changed automatic conversion from ascii chars to “todo list” from “[ ] ” to “ ”