CherryTree is a hierarchical note-taking application for brainstorming, planning, creating to-do lists, managing tasks, and generally keeping yourself organised.
This works much like many similar programs. You'll create a few "nodes" - folders on a tree - to represent some structure (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c etc). Each node is effectively a separate page where you can enter whatever content you like. This might be text notes, links, images, tables, lists, files and more, each with a host of formatting options.
The core editor had many more features than we expected. Spell Check, subscript/ superscript, H1/ H2/ H3 toggling, case change commands, syntax highlighting for many common languages, there's a lot here (although Spell Check may have to be enabled from Settings > Rich Text). And just about everything has its own keyboard shortcut for extra speed.
Important nodes may be bookmarked to help you find them later. Although if you forget, that may not be a problem: a capable Search tool - with regular expression support - will quickly track down what you need.
By default CherryTree neatly saves you work as a single XML file or SQLite database, optionally password-protecting it to maintain your privacy.
The program also works well with similar note-taking apps, though, importing data from EssentialPIM, Gnote, KeepNote, Mempad, TreePad, Zim and more, or exporting your documents to PDF, HTML or plain TXT.
Version 0.35.2 is a bug fix release.
Version 0.35.0 brings:
• the toolbar is now configurable in a dedicated preferences dialog tab.
• added configurable option to use relative paths in links to files and folders.
• added limit of 10 MB to embedded files. embedding larger files is not safe.
• implemented the possibility to open embedded files with double click or right click menu. the opened embedded file is saved to a temporary location and opened with an external application same as it happens for links to files. the temporary file is monitored for changes and if a change is detected, the embedded file in the cherrytree document is updated automatically. all the external applications used to open embedded files must be closed before closing cherrytree since cherrytree will delete the temporary files at quit (a dialog warns the user to do so at cherrytree quit time if one or more opened embedded files is detected).
• the embedded files have now the time of latest edit and the size visible in tooltip.
• added configurable option to have codeboxes expand automatically.
• the following commands now work also inside of the codeboxes: text row cut/copy/delete/up/down, text change case, text duplicate, insertion of special chars, timestamp, horizontal rule, lists handling.
• added right click menu to cut, copy and delete embedded files and anchors.
• added menu item and shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R) to toggle the Read Only property of the selected node.
• when we double click on text we are used to see the word under mouse to be selected. now it is possible in configuration to add chars to include in the selection (e.g. adding ‘@’ you select whole text me@mail).
• added tooltip in find all matches dialog indicating the full node path.
• improved the tree in links dialog and node change father dialog: now the middle (or wheel) click works also here to expand/collapse underlying node and also the double click toggles the expanded/collapsed state. furthermore the expanded/collapsed nodes status is the same of the main tree.
• added menu item to open the directory containing the preferences files.
• fixed several bugs.