Free HTML Editor is a powerful text-based web design package.
We say "text-based" because the program isn't WYSIWYG; you need to buy the full version of the program to gain visual editing. Here you must create or edit the HTML code directly. Which is something of a culture shock if you're used to dragging and dropping elements on a page, but there are some tools to make life easier.
The program includes a Frame Designer, for instance, which allows you to choose your preferred layout in a dialog box, generating and inserting the required code at a click. A Quick Table option makes it just as easy to create the base code for the table size you select. The Insert List dialog quickly generates lists of the type you require from whatever items you enter, and the Preview tab allows you to view the results of your work in a click.
However you begin, the Free HTML Editor has plenty of useful features to ensure that you end up with a quality site. Like HTML 5 and CSS3 support; a built-in spell checker and thesaurus; thousands of professional quality bundled graphics; an effective code-cleaner, built-in FTP client, and a Website Projects manager to keep control of multiple sites.
If that's still not enough, then the full commercial version of the editor adds WYSIWYG editing, a CSS menu designer, full table designer, website colour schemer and more. It's yours for $49 and you can find out more on the CoffeeCup site.
What's new in 16.1 (see changelog for more)?
- Added "Code Diagnostics" menu to Tools menu.
- Pressing F11 in the external preview window now hides it so you can press F11 in either the main window or the external window to toggle it.
- Fixed HTML Validation.
- The Open From Web feature can now open HTTPS webpages.
- Changed the loading of the My Computer tab. It now does not load until the tab is selected.
- We scanned URL's and updated CoffeeCup links to HTTPS, and commented out unused URL’s.
- Editor Context menu now has a "Insert Snippet or Library Item" menu, with "Snippet" and "Library Item" sub-menus that load all of the items.
- Table Designer can now be minimized while modal.
- Updated Quick Start help links.
- Fixed-up an anomaly where an untitled document with no path would be added to the recent files list when opened from a search result.
- Insert Image Dialog now adjusts for CSS pages, reducing options and inserting URL('filename.ext') instead of HTML IMG tag.
* Dragging and dropping an image on a css file inserts "url("imagefilename.jpg")" instead if html IMG tag.
* Added "Go to Documents folder in My Computer Tab" and "Go to Documents folder in Explorer" under the Document menu.