For some workers, taking a laptop and working with a 3G card, from any location is becoming a reality. To make this happen, all you need is the facility to synchronise data with other users and between computers. If you work on your laptop from a hotel room, you’ll want the same notes back on your desktop computer, when you get back to the office.
The the most obvious solution would be to take a USB drive and store your data, then move the drive between computers. However, it’s easy to lose, easy to forget to bring it in to the office and it’s a long-winded approach for making sure your notes are up-to-date on every machine.
Evernote is another idea. It’s a tool which you can use to store your notes, ideas, plans and interesting snippets of your favourite websites and other online material. You can then install another copy of Evernote on a different computer, and the first thing it does is synchronise your notes back on to this machine. Better still, there are version of Evernote for Windows, Mac and your mobile, so you are never far from your notes. You can also store your notes online, so if you are on a host computer where you aren’t able to install new software, simply open your web browser and access your Evernote account.
With Evernote, you can store and synchronise text notes, images, grabs, your photos, media and most other files. You can categorise your information so you can quickly find the files across every machine.
Evernote 6 continues to add new features at pace. There's a new Assisted Search tool, high DPI support, a reorganised user interface promising cleaner navigation and better organization. Tags and notebook styling have been improved, along with general tweaks to the Note Editor. Evernote Business users also gain the ability to separate business and personal content.
What's new in 6.9?
- Drag and drop attachments from many more 3rd party apps including Outlook into Evernote.
- Fixed an issue where a note still displays and is editable even though it's no longer shared
- Fixed an issue where inline PDFs are blank when mail attachments are clipped to Evernote
- Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
- Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
- Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out
- Fixed an issue where recording audio is sometimes not saved when switching notes
- Fixed an intermittent issue where the view looks garbled when starting Evernote when offline
- Fixed an intermittent issue where text note's thumbnails are black when using the Thumbnail view for the note list
- Fixed an issue where High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF/HEIC) are not displayed in notes
- Performance improvements for the notebook picker - especially when you have many notes + notebooks
- Several crash and stability fixes