Windows 7 and Vista include a surprisingly powerful firewall tool that helps to secure your internet connection. Configuring the firewall can be tricky, and if you have gone to the trouble of configuring different firewall profiles, it can seem an unnecessarily lengthy process to switch between them. This is something that Windows Firewall Control aims to rectify.
The program sits in the notification area of the Windows taskbar and provides easy access to the most frequently used options of the Windows Firewall. In just a couple of clicks you can switch between firewall profiles or even disable the firewall altogether – a handy option if you are having trouble granting a particular program access to the internet.
Windows Firewall Control can be configured to start automatically with Windows and it is then incredibly simple to flick between using High, Medium, Low, or No Filtering modes. This is a great alternative to navigating through the various firewall related screen that can be found in the Control Panel.
Working in free mode, the program is very powerful, but opt to register for $10 and there are a number of additional options available to you. Registration unlocks the option to import and export settings so they can be easily restored as well as the ability to lock down the program with an administrator password. There is also the very handy ability to right click on any executable file in Windows and use the context menu to create a firewall rule for the selected program.
What's new in 188.8.131.52? See the changelog for more info.
- Removed: 'Auto receive updates' functionality was removed from Connections Log, as
it consumes a lot of resources and make the entire application unresponsive.
- Improved: The Properties dialog layout was updated so that it can fit better on low
- Improved: When opening Rules Panel, the default focused element is now the search box.
- Improved: The search string from Rules Panel will not be cleared anymore when
refreshing the data grid or when changing the filters.
- Fixed: When Secure Profile is enabled, firewall rules created for executable files
located on mounted drives do not apply anymore. The user has to switch manually the
profile so that Windows Firewall will refresh the existing firewall rules.
- Fixed: When the activation dialog is displayed, the Main Panel is displayed always
- Fixed: When the vertical scroll bar is visible in toolbox in the Rules Panel and
Connections Log windows, the border on the right side is missing.
- Fixed: When an item is selected in the notifications exceptions list, the foreground
color is hard to read.