While the Notepad tool bundled with Windows is fine for making quick text notes, for anything more than this it is somewhat lacking in features. There is always the option of using a word processor for creating more in depth documents, but sometimes a middle ground is needed - this is the gap that Notepad++ has been designed to fill.
The program has a small footprint and is quick to load, and while it has been designed as a replacement for Notepad, it has a great deal more to offer. The tabbed interface makes it possible to work with multiple documents simultaneously without the need to open several instances of the program and simple touches such as line numbering and syntax highlighting make it ideal for programmers editing code.
Notepad++ can be used to record and playback macros, and sections of large documents can be bookmarked for easy access. The program recognising a range of different coding styles, from C++ and Java to HTML and Perl and multiple documents can be viewed at the same time for the purposes of comparison, or a document can be cloned ready for editing while retaining the original version.
This is a hugely versatile tool which will prove incredibly useful for any coder, but also operates well as a more powerful text editor.
A fast and lean Notepad replacement that can be put to a variety of uses
What's new in 8.4.8 (see release notes for more)?
- Update to Scintilla 5.3.2 and Lexilla 5.2.1. (implement #12624)
- Dark mode: Add “Follow Windows dark/light mode” feature, and toolbar, tabbar and theme choices are remembered for 2 modes separately. (Fix #9183, #9992, #10153, #10239, #10544, #11867, #10644)
- Fix inconsistencies at OS-forced Notepad++ v8.4.7 exit. (Fix #12541)
- Make tab context menu customizable. (Fix #12170)
- Make Macro & Run menu organizable with submenu by modifying shortcuts.xml. (Fix #5349, implement #12617)
- Fix crash on Win32 Namespace prefixed file name. (Fix #12453)
- Fix delimiter selection crash issue. (Fix #12384)
- Improve performance for the “Remove Empty Lines” command. (Fix #12462, implement #12544)
- Fix theme not working in cloud mode and portable mode issue. (Fix #6092, #10801, #12296)
- Fix autocomplete/calltip colors not applied when changing themes. (Fix #12514)
- Add dark autocompletion icons for dark themes. (Fix #12549)
- Fix search result not applying new theme. (Fix #12588)
- Fix sorting failure in zero-length column mode selection. (Fix #12299)
- Fix Default Language not working for the 1st empty file with empty session. (Fix #12586)
- Enhance “Go to settings” in Style Configurator. (Implement #12650, #12634)
- Fix themes’ inconsistent behaviour. (Fix #12642, #12508)
- Fix incorrect plugin architecture reports partially. (Fix partially #12565)
- Enhance Properties file: add/improve the syntax folding/highlighting. (Implementation)
- Add vertical scroll bar on all combobox in Find Replace dialog. (Fix #12459)
- Function List: Add Pascal/Delphi & NppExec plugin’s scripting, enhance SQL. (Fix #3664, #12517, implemnt #12625)
- Autocompletion: add PowerShell, fix some entries in PHP, update for Lua. (Fix #12492, implement #12641, #12657)
- Update CPP & PowerShell keywords. (Fix #11936, #5004)
- Fix the tab context menu reload command’s state not synchronized. (Fix #12579)