OkMap is an unusually powerful (yet also free) GPS and mapping application.
The program can import maps in more than 30 formats, including GFW, JGW, PGW, TFW, BPW (World file); ECW (Earth Resource Mapping); GeoTiff; MAP (OziExplorer); IMP (CompeGps); GMI (GpsTuner); SHP, DBF (Esri shape file) and DCW (Digital Chart of World), along with many image formats. And it can interface directly with Google Earth and Google Maps.
Wherever the maps come from, you can then work with them to create waypoints, routes, tracks and more. These can then be uploaded to your GPS device, or you can alternatively download information from your GPS and display it on the maps. (OkMap works with all GPS devices supported by GpsBabel.)
These map additions can be static, so for instance you might create a list of photos which are displayed on a map, so you can see exactly where they're taking.
But OkMap can also do much more. If you run the program on a laptop with a connected GPS, say, then you can plot your position on a map in real time, and send this information constantly to a remote computer. So a group of people, all equipped with OkMap, laptop and GPS, could see everyone's position updated in real time.
And even this is just the start, but we simply don't have space here to do the program justice. So if you're at all interested in maps or GPS then download the program and try it out, or check the OkMap site for more information.
The interface is a little intimidating, but that's just because OkMap is so packed with features. There's an incredible amount of power here for a free tool, and it's a must-have for anyone interested in GPS or mapping
Version 17.6 (changelog):
- EPSG database update to version 10.064.
- GDAL update to version 1930, 3.4.2, mapserver 7.6.4.
- WebView component update to version 1.0.1210.39.
- Writing maps in CompeGPS format (.imp).Writing maps in CompeGPS TwoNav format (.rmap).
- Writing maps in GPS TrackMaker format (.gtm).
- FIX: Map display in Google Earth: Increased accuracy using tiles with 2.2 extensions.
- FIX: GDAL: possibility to declare multiple configuration parameters (--config).
- FIX: Map rotation: Changed the rotation limits from -45 to +45 degrees.
- FIX: Map rotation: It is not possible to rotate maps with only 2 georeferencing points
- FIX: Writing maps in TomTom format: Convert the coordinates in the WGS84 datum.
- FIX: Loading CompeGPS maps superimposed on web maps: Checked that it is not an ECW map.
- FIX: Added OziExplorer ETRS89 datum (associated with WGS84), Schwarzeck datum, NAD27 Canal Zone datum.
- FIX: Association of ECW datum "MONTEMAR" and CompeGPS "Monte Mario" from datum EPSG 6806 to datum EPSG 6265.
- FIX: Loading a tiled map: It was necessary to click on the map to be able to view it.