Acronis True Image 2018 is the latest version of the popular backup tool.
The program provides simple ways to back up your entire PC, specific disks or partitions, or individual files and folders. Backups can be saved locally or to the cloud, while a Sync feature ensures key files are always available on any device, wherever you are.
So, what's new in 2018? The first visual enhancement is backup analysis and statistics where you can easily see a representation of what's taking up the most space in your backup (much like Apple offers with iCloud backups).
Acronis True Image 2018 includes anti-ransomware protection. We're assuming that this is included so your backups are always protected from being encrypted by ransomware, so if your computer gets infected, then your backups remain safe. This will then enable you to quickly restore a previous backup, rather than worry about paying a ransom fee.
The new Conversion to Virtual Machine option enables you to take an existing backup and convert it to a virtual machine. This could be immensely useful if you backed up your entire desktop computer, needed access to the contents of your laptop when you were on the road. Simply convert to a virtual machine and run within VMware Workstation.
Other minor improvements include a faster incremental backup and a laptop power setting which will pause a backup whilst you're in battery mode.
Whats new in build 11530 (see the release notes for more info):
- An unclear error message is displayed while backing up to the cloud: 'FES request failed.'
- The product is locked and the 'Subscription expired' lock screen appears for users with an active subscription license, if the license conflict was not resolved at the account management web page.
- The 'Expired subscription' lock screen is shown to the users with an active subscription if they could not sign in to the account for 30 days.
- The product activation fails if the installed BIOS firmware does not support BIOS ID requests.
- The product subscription is shown as Trial after the product upgrade from version 2017 to 2018.
- A system report generated from the application hangs if the C:\ProgramData\Acronis folder contains a file.
- A mapped network drive does not work under WinPE-based bootable media.
- Backup to CD or DVD fails with the error 'Cannot open the backup.'
- After cleaning up old backup versions on the Acronis Cloud web application, the storage space is not freed up.