Acronis True Image 2018 is the latest version of the popular backup tool.
The program provides simple ways to back up your entire PC, specific disks or partitions, or individual files and folders. Backups can be saved locally or to the cloud, while a Sync feature ensures key files are always available on any device, wherever you are.
So, what's new in 2018? The first visual enhancement is backup analysis and statistics where you can easily see a representation of what's taking up the most space in your backup (much like Apple offers with iCloud backups).
Acronis True Image 2018 includes anti-ransomware protection. We're assuming that this is included so your backups are always protected from being encrypted by ransomware, so if your computer gets infected, then your backups remain safe. This will then enable you to quickly restore a previous backup, rather than worry about paying a ransom fee.
The new Conversion to Virtual Machine option enables you to take an existing backup and convert it to a virtual machine. This could be immensely useful if you backed up your entire desktop computer, needed access to the contents of your laptop when you were on the road. Simply convert to a virtual machine and run within VMware Workstation.
Other minor improvements include a faster incremental backup and a laptop power setting which will pause a backup whilst you're in battery mode.
Whats new in build 10640 (see the release notes for more info):
- Unable to select a backup destination, the "Select destination" text is not clickable.
- After the update from build 9850 to build 10410, the entries on the Activity tab are not shown if the number of the entries was quite large.
- If the product was activated offline with a perpetual license, it demands reactivation when an Internet connection is enabled.
- Under a WinPE media, the data cannot be recovered from a backup located on an NAS, the error "Acronis True Image backup file is corrupted" appears.
- Backup stops after clicking "Back up now" if the setting "Do not back up on battery" is turned on and the power cord is unplugged.
- In the notification area, the Acronis Active Protection icon is shown as unavailable after the update from build 9207 to build 9660.