AIMP is a capable music player with some useful extra features.
Core audio support is good, with the program supporting a wide range of input formats: .CDA, .AAC, .AC3, .APE, .DTS, .FLAC, .IT, .MIDI, .MO3, .MOD, .M4A, .M4B, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MPC, .MTM, .OFR, .OGG, .RMI, .S3M, .SPX, .TAK, .TTA, .UMX, .WAV, .WMA, .WV and .XM. In a couple of clicks you'll be browsing for files, folders, playlists or URLs you'd like AIMP to handle, and the program's 32-bit audio processing should ensure you get the best possible sound quality.
If you need more, though, AIMP's integrated 18-band EQ can apply some useful audio tweaks. If you prefer an easy life then you can apply one of the seventeen presets in a click or two for instant results. Or, if you like to be more "hands on", then the DSP Manager supports various effects (Echo, Chorus, Speed, Reverb, Bass, Tempo, Flanger, Enhancer, Pitch). And you can expand the program's capabilities further by, for example, adding various Winamp plugins.
You also get a surprisingly capable scheduler. You can have this shut down the computer at a particular time, or when a file or entire playlist has finished. Or you're able to create an alarm, where the program pops up to play a specified file at your chosen time. AIMP can even start this at a very low volume, then keep increasing it over time, handy if the program's being used to gently wake you up.
And there's more. You can record audio, rip CDs or convert audio files in general to MP3, OGG, WMA and WAV formats, for instance. And there's an audio library manager, a tag editor, an Internet Radio tool and more, yet the program remains fairly compact. The standard installation required under 19MB on our test PC, and it can be installed to a USB flash drive for portable audio playing if you prefer.
Version 4.00 build 1687 brings these changes (see the changelog for more info):
- Common: Monkey's Audio codec has been updated
- Skin Engine: Seek bar - Hint with position under mouse cursor now appears
- Fixed: Common - the "Move to..." command does not work for playing file
- Fixed: UI - table elements - multiple selection via selection rectangle works buggly
- Fixed: UI - table elements - selection of all items via Ctrl+A shortcut moves focus to first item
- Fixed: Playlists Manager - an empty playlists were created when moving few folders via drag-n-drop to playlists list
- Fixed: Player - Internet Radio - meta information changed too early than track really started
- Fixed: Tag Editor - OGG / FLAC / OPUS - multi-line fields saves incorrectly if their data contains ";" symbol
- Fixed: Skin Engine - default frame index of TASEAnimator element always equals to 0 even if binding is defined
- Fixed: Skin Engine - few compatibility issues with old skins were fixed
- Fixed: Skin Engine - localizations for custom context menus was not refreshed in real-time
- Fixed: Skin Engine - hint in music library table / playlist blinks when running under Windows 7 if desktop composition is disabled
- Fixed: Skin Engine - window content was not refreshed after changing the element placement from script
- Fixed: Music Library - import data base from AIMP3 - files from network locations cannot be imported
- Fixed: Music Library - the "find in Music Library" command does not work if the "no grouping" mode is selected
- Fixed: Music Library - playback accounting works incorrectly if playback speed different from default value
- Small bugs were fixed
- Fixed: Music Library - the "check for new files at application start up" function does not work in some cases
- Fixed: Music Library - scrolling via gestures does not work