AIMP is a capable music player with some useful extra features.
Core audio support is good, with the program supporting a wide range of input formats: .CDA, .AAC, .AC3, .APE, .DTS, .FLAC, .IT, .MIDI, .MO3, .MOD, .M4A, .M4B, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MPC, .MTM, .OFR, .OGG, .RMI, .S3M, .SPX, .TAK, .TTA, .UMX, .WAV, .WMA, .WV and .XM. In a couple of clicks you'll be browsing for files, folders, playlists or URLs you'd like AIMP to handle, and the program's 32-bit audio processing should ensure you get the best possible sound quality.
If you need more, though, AIMP's integrated 18-band EQ can apply some useful audio tweaks. If you prefer an easy life then you can apply one of the seventeen presets in a click or two for instant results. Or, if you like to be more "hands on", then the DSP Manager supports various effects (Echo, Chorus, Speed, Reverb, Bass, Tempo, Flanger, Enhancer, Pitch). And you can expand the program's capabilities further by, for example, adding various Winamp plugins.
You also get a surprisingly capable scheduler. You can have this shut down the computer at a particular time, or when a file or entire playlist has finished. Or you're able to create an alarm, where the program pops up to play a specified file at your chosen time. AIMP can even start this at a very low volume, then keep increasing it over time, handy if the program's being used to gently wake you up.
And there's more. You can record audio, rip CDs or convert audio files in general to MP3, OGG, WMA and WAV formats, for instance. And there's an audio library manager, a tag editor, an Internet Radio tool and more, yet the program remains fairly compact. The standard installation required under 19MB on our test PC, and it can be installed to a USB flash drive for portable audio playing if you prefer.
Version 3.60 Build 1497 brings:
- Common: index map of icon library loads incorrectly at second time during one work session
- Player: internet radio - information bars displays every time when player receives metadata from server even if data have not been changed
- Player: application ignores the custom queue when physically deleting playable file
- Player: player jumps to next track if an error occurs during opening file operation even if the "Automatically jump to next track" option is switched off
- Skin Engine: an error occurs when trying to apply skin in handler of skinned button
- Tags: WAV - tags does not loads if section with tags is placed after section with data
- Plugins: SACD - ISO parser does not loads track if there are no meta information about the tracks