EverEdit is a powerful Notepad replacement with a lengthy list of interesting and unusual features.
The program is a compact download, and as it's portable, just unzip the contents somewhere and you're ready to open your first file. Which can be in just about any encoding, as EverEdit has full Unicode support. And, surprisingly, you can even open binary files, and view them in the program's simple hex editor.
Mostly EverEdit is about plain text editing, though, taking a core Notepad-type functionality and just layering on the extras. Like a very flexible tabbed interface; template support for faster document creation; regular expression support when searching; dragging and dropping to move text around; customisable toolbars, syntax highlighting, code folding, spell checking, and the list goes on.
There are some surprisingly powerful features, too, considering the editor's compact size. Like an HTML Mode, with toolbar buttons to help you more quickly create tables, forms, lists and so on, as well as an internal browser to view the file you're working on. Then there's the embedded VBS/JScript script engine, macros, plugins and more.
We did also have a few problems with the program. It's missing a few of the options you might find in some of the competition (there's no multiple clipboards, for instance). The functionality you do get isn't always organised intuitively, either, so we'd occasionally spend quite some time figuring out how to do something.
- NEW: Added mouse middle behavior. You can bind an command to the middle button. (Setting->Edit)
- IMPROVED: When double click items in [Directory View], EverEdit will focus on opened file.
- IMPROVED: Removed and changed some shortcuts of [Directory View]
- IMPROVED: Improved bracket match limit to 4000 lines (Up: 2000 lines, Down: 2000 lines)
- IMPROVED: If you press delete or backspace key, EverEdit will delete selection first if there does exist some selections.
- IMPROVED: Some wrong translations of shortcuts
- IMPROVED: The calltip window might be covered by complete window