IsoBuster is an unusually powerful data recovery tool that can rescue files from just about any optical disc.
The program works with all CD, DVD, Blu-ray and even HD DVD formats. In a couple of clicks it can be scanning your disc for lost data. And a deep understanding of many different file structures means that, if the files are still readable, there's a very good chance that they can be recovered.
There are also many convenient and thoughtful touches here. When you first scan a disc, for instance, IsoBuster will ask if you want to create an image of it on your hard drive (scanning that will be much faster). And in a welcome bonus feature, the program allows you to open many image formats, and browse them as though they were actually discs, viewing documents or launching the applications they contain.
There is also an important restriction with this version of the program: it can't recover data from UDF discs (UDF is the file system used by packet writing applications). To unlock this you must purchase an IsoBuster Pro licence; this costs $29.95 for personal use, and you can find out more on the IsoBuster site.
IsoBuster 4.5 includes these improvements (see changelog for more):
- Ability to resume a scan for missing files and folders, if the content is still shown
- Ability to save scan results (as *.ibr files)
- Ability to load previous (*.ibr) scan results and resume the scan if so desired
- Ability to import XML formatted lists of files and folders (if you happen to know where the files are physically located on the medium)
- Support for more type Philips HDD recorders (DVR-3500)
- Support for Brother typewriter *.256 floppy images that use a primitive FAT like file system
- Ability to extract search results (files and folders) but preserve their relative path instead of creating a flat list of all found files and folders
An essential data recovery tool. If you ever back up anything to optical discs then this program needs to be in your emergency toolkit