ConfigFox is a tiny portable tool which makes it easier to browse and access a host of advanced Firefox settings.
There's no installation required, just launch the program, it detects the current default Firefox profile (or you can open another if you prefer) and sorts and displays your current settings in a tree.
Expanding any category gives you a list of possible options, and expanding these shows you the name of the official Firefox setting (so the program's "Disable browser auto update" directly relates to the Firefox setting app.update.enabled).
Every category and setting has a checkbox you can use to enable or disable it.
Most options are fairly obvious ("Disable camera"), but others do require some background knowledge ("Enable OCSP Stapling").
If you're unsure what something means, right-click the relevant Firefox setting and select Search Online.
Once you're finished, the Save option saves your new settings to a Users.js file in your user profile (it won't open an existing Users.js, so if you have one already then we'd back that up first). Restart Firefox and the new settings should be applied.
A File > Get Latest Configurations options updates the program with any new Firefox settings.
Alternatively, if you know what you're doing you can customise ConfigFox yourself, right-clicking any setting to delete or edit it, add new settings or groups.
Version 1.4 brings:
- New: Users now can select a custom Firefox executable (Portable, Palemoon, Waterfox, ...) if Firefox is not installed or not found.
- New: Tools > Apply dummy files (current profile)
- New: Tools > Run Firefox Profile Manager.
- New: Help > Check for new version.
- New: Help > Donate.
- New: Entries that are in user.js but not in ConfigFox collection (default.js) are highlighted.
- Changed: ConfigFox collection (default.js) will only contain entries that cannot be set from Firefox itself.
- Changed: ConfigFox collection (default.js) groups were reorganized (layout/format stills the same).
- Changed: Window width is narrower.
ConfigFox is an interesting way to browse and access many advanced Firefox settings.