There are now so many web sites and programs that require the use of passwords that it can be hard to remember them all. The demand of different service vary greatly, with some requiring that passwords are of a minimum length, while other must contain upper and lower case letters or include numbers and symbols. One solution, and one that is employed by too many users, is to simply use one password for a range of sites and programs. This is obviously a major security risk because it means that should a third party compromise one of your passwords, they also have access to your other password-protected accounts - and this is a serious threat to data.
Password Safe may well be the answer you have been looking for. The program makes it easy to store all of your passwords in a single database which is itself protected by a single password - the only one you will need to remember- and they can be organised into groups to make them easy to find when they are needed. The program does not just have to be used to simply store passwords, the autofill feature means that usernames and passwords can be automatically entered into web site and program dialogs to save them from having to be typed.
Password Safe can also be used to generate strong passwords and extra information about individual password entries can be stored - such as specifying an expiry date for passwords and maintaining a record of when they have been changed. The program works on a simple principle, but it is one that can be used to make life a great deal easier.
What's new in 3.44 (see full changelog for more)?
- Double backslash is now correctly parsed in Run Command.
- Perform autotype of correct entry when the user changes the selection made by a Find.
- The protected entry padlock symbol is now used in all places where a protected entry is listed in any dialog.
- If an expired or about to be expired entry is edited at database open (requires warning preference to be enabled), the database will be saved if the 'Save database immediately after any change' preference is enabled. After the open is complete, these changes can be undone/redone if required.
- Tree and List views now retain focus when a shortcut entry is created.
- Remember Find toolbar state when restoring from minimized.
- The virtual keyboard font size setting is now persistent.
- Remember if PasswordSafe was maximized when exited.