OBS Studio (a rewrite of the original Open Broadcaster) is a comprehensive open-source package for video recording and live streaming.
The program supports multiple sources, including media files, games, web pages, application windows, webcams, your desktop, microphone and more.
These sources can be combined. For example, you could include a web development tool, a browser window with a live preview of the site you're updating, and a microphone to tell the viewers what you're doing.
A Record option can save your show/ demonstration/ game/ presentation as an FLV/ MP4/ MOV/ TS/ M3U8 video with your choice of encoder and settings.
Alternatively, there's support for live streaming via Twitch, YouTube, hitbox.tv, DailyMotion, beam.tv, Livecoding.tv, Facebook Live or Restream.io.
The program doesn't make much of an effort to lead you through all this, but it doesn't take long to figure out the basics. Add a source, explore the settings, click Start Recording and check the video results.
OBS Studio could be easier to use, but you'll soon learn the basics, and overall it offers plenty of video recording/ streaming power.
What's new in 27.2 (see changelog for more)?
- Added AJA source for AJA devices [DDRBoxman/AJA Team]
- Added AJA output to tools menu for AJA devices [DDRBoxman/AJA Team]
- Updated CEF (Chromium) for the browser source from 75 (3770) to version 95 (4638) (Absolutely amazing work by everyone who worked on this, especially the CEF community -Jim) [PatTheMav/RytoEX/pkv/WizardCM/VodBox]
- Added the ability to set different blend modes to sources via the source right-click context menu (similar to Photoshop’s layer blending for example) [jw0z96]
- Added AOM AV1 and SVT-AV1 encoders (note that these are currently considered experimental, work best with CPUs that have many cores, and are only accessible for recording in advanced output mode) [Jim]
- Added an OBS hotkey for browser sources to allow refreshing a browser source via that hotkey [gxalpha]
- Added hotkey filter search [furious]
- Added hotkey duplicate detection [furious/Jim]
- Added a warning dialog when switching profiles that have settings changes that require a restart [offthegrid-mike]
- Added a “Show active outputs warning on exit” option in advanced settings, which allows you to enable/disable the confirmation dialog on exit while recording/streaming [bobvandevijver]
- Added support for the RIST protocol [pkv]
- Added official Flatpak support for Linux [GeorgesStavracas]
- Added framework for future support of background hotkeys on Wayland [kkartaltepe]
- Added an option to general settings to hide OBS from all capturing, allowing you to capture your screen without OBS showing up [R1CH]