OBS Studio (a rewrite of the original Open Broadcaster) is a comprehensive open-source package for video recording and live streaming.
The program supports multiple sources, including media files, games, web pages, application windows, webcams, your desktop, microphone and more.
These sources can be combined. For example, you could include a web development tool, a browser window with a live preview of the site you're updating, and a microphone to tell the viewers what you're doing.
A Record option can save your show/ demonstration/ game/ presentation as an FLV/ MP4/ MOV/ TS/ M3U8 video with your choice of encoder and settings.
Alternatively, there's support for live streaming via Twitch, YouTube, hitbox.tv, DailyMotion, beam.tv, Livecoding.tv, Facebook Live or Restream.io.
The program doesn't make much of an effort to lead you through all this, but it doesn't take long to figure out the basics. Add a source, explore the settings, click Start Recording and check the video results.
OBS Studio could be easier to use, but you'll soon learn the basics, and overall it offers plenty of video recording/ streaming power.
What's new in 29.0.1 (see changelog for more)?
- Fixed the "NVIDIA AUDIO Effects SDK is outdated" message appearing on the noise reduction filter properties when the SDK wasn't installed [notr1ch]
- Fixed a crash that could happen if you use NVIDIA's audio effect filters and then later uninstall the SDK [pkv]
- Fixed the expander and upward compressor audio filters sounding distorted [pkv/norihiro]
- Added "Knee Width" option to the upward compressor audio filter to improve quality [pkv/norihiro]
- Fixed a bug where overriding the theme on Linux could cause the program not to start up [kkartaltepe]
- Fixed software rendering not working properly on Linux [columbarius]
- Fixed a bug where the Stats window/panel would show an incorrect disk space calculation when pausing recordings [notr1ch]
- Fixed a bug on Windows where the "Force SDR" setting in window capture wasn't showing up [jpark37]
- Fixed a bug on macOS where the virtual camera would show up red [PatTheMav]
- Fixed a bug where Linux captures would not work correctly on X11 [kkartaltepe]
- Fixed a crash on Linux when using Wayland and trying to use the automatic scene switcher [GeorgesStavracas]
- Fixed a bug where alpha wouldn't output properly when setting OBS to use BGRA color format [jpark37]
- Fixed a crash on startup when OBS was minimized [derrod]
- Fixed a bug where projectors could look washed out when projecting SDR content while using an HDR display [jpark37]
- Fixed a bug on Windows where secondary displays could sometimes not show up in the display capture properties [jpark37]
- Fixed a crash when using the virtual camera as an OBS source and changing the canvas resolution [notr1ch]
- Fixed a bug on macOS where the properties window would go behind the main window after opening a file selection dialog [gxalpha]
- Fixed a bug where profile encoder settings would not properly update when switching between services that require a different encoder [tytan652]
- Fixed a bug in custom ffmpeg output mode where RTMP would force certain encoders [flaeri]