With countless websites and programs now requiring that users log in with a password, it is little wonder that many people resort to using the same password for a number of services simply to avoid forgetting them.
The program is, at its heart, a password database which can be used to store all of your login details in one secure, password protected location. This in itself is useful, but 1Password can also be used to automatically fill in login information so you do not have to do so manually.
1Password is compatible with all versions of Windows and can be used with Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. When used in conjunction with your web browser for online shopping, 1Password can automatically fill in credit card details in online forms. With built-in phishing protection, coupled with the secure database, you can be certain that your details will never fall into the wrong hands.
Of course, you're not just limited to storing passwords. You can use 1Password to store secure notes, server login information, your credit cards, important phone emergency phone numbers and so much more.
These include a new diceware generator for creating strong passwords and support for the 1Password WatchTower service, which warns users when logins have been compromised.
New Duplicate and Weak Password categories help users track down passwords that need changing, while items can be now tagged for easier organisation and identification.
All items can now be shared securely via email and users can sync data with iOS devices using their local Wi-Fi network instead of the cloud. The update also comes with the promise of major performance improvements.
1Password 7.4.767 is a major update (see changelog for more):
- Bringing up 1Password mini via the keyboard shortcut is more consistent when switching between various browsers, especially if it was locked.
- Updated our diagnostics report to include known processes that have interfered with 1Password updates and to include any network issues it detected.
- Exiting and locking 1Password should be much faster now.
- Database operations are slightly faster.
- 1Password mini will close after copying a username or password via Control + Shift + C.
- New one-time passwords will be announced to screen readers in real time as they expire and regenerate.
This powerful tool will enable you to store all your most important information, from passwords to your credit card details, safely and securely. Recommended.