OBS Studio (a rewrite of the original Open Broadcaster) is a comprehensive open-source package for video recording and live streaming.
The program supports multiple sources, including media files, games, web pages, application windows, webcams, your desktop, microphone and more.
These sources can be combined. For example, you could include a web development tool, a browser window with a live preview of the site you're updating, and a microphone to tell the viewers what you're doing.
A Record option can save your show/ demonstration/ game/ presentation as an FLV/ MP4/ MOV/ TS/ M3U8 video with your choice of encoder and settings.
Alternatively, there's support for live streaming via Twitch, YouTube, hitbox.tv, DailyMotion, beam.tv, Livecoding.tv, Facebook Live or Restream.io.
The program doesn't make much of an effort to lead you through all this, but it doesn't take long to figure out the basics. Add a source, explore the settings, click Start Recording and check the video results.
OBS Studio could be easier to use, but you'll soon learn the basics, and overall it offers plenty of video recording/ streaming power.
What's new in 29.1 (see changelog for more)?
- Added support for streaming AV1/HEVC over Enhanced RTMP [YouTube/yuriy-chunak/derrod]
- Enhanced RTMP V1 extends the RTMP protocol to support newer video codecs and HDR.
- Added support for multiple audio tracks in Simple output recording [pkv]
- Added a DLL blocking feature for Windows. This allows OBS to block problematic DLLs from attaching to OBS and causing freezing or crashes, for example 3rd party overlay hooks and outdated video capture devices. [notr1ch]
- Added settings to select the audio encoder for streaming and recording [tytan652]
- Added an option to preload media sources used in Stingers to memory, to avoid frame skips during transitions [Jim]
- Added Update Channels on macOS and updated Sparkle for smaller and faster updates going forward [derrod]
- Added compatibility notices in the Window and Game Capture sources for Windows [derrod]
- Added the ability to zoom browser docks with Ctrl - and + and the right click menu [WizardCM]
- Added a setting to record in fragmented MP4 and MOV formats [derrod]
- Added support for surround sound for AJA capture cards [paulh-aja]
- Added ProRes 4444 (XQ) support for VideoToolbox encoder on macOS [jpark37]
- Added lossless audio recording options (FLAC/ALAC/PCM including 32-bit float) [derrod]
- Added indicator if an audio source is unmuted, but not assigned to any audio tracks [derrod]
- Added AMD AV1 encoder to simple output mode [notr1ch]