NTLite is a commercial tool (with a free-for-personal-use version) which allows you to build a customised Windows 7-10 installation disc from your existing Windows disc, or an image (ISO, ESD or WIM, including the WIM file on your current installation).
You can slim down Windows by leaving out components you don't need. The free NTLite can remove items like Active Directory's Directory Services, the BranchCache Client, HomeGroups, Remote Desktop Client/ Server, BitLocker, Hyper-V, MobilePC and Parental Controls.
Upgrade to a paid version and you can also drop most of the accessories, unwanted drivers, language packs, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, even low-level components like SuperFetch or Windows Search.
You're also able to add items to your installation, including Windows updates, service packs, language packs and drivers.
There are options to tweak various Windows settings, for example customising the startup state of various Windows services.
You're able to define the answers for every step of the installation process, ensuring it runs unattended, with no prompts. And there's an option to run defined programs, scripts or .REG files post-installation to apply any remaining tweaks.
Upgrading to NTLite Home ($45) gets you the ability to remove many more Windows components, has better hardware and device driver support, can clean up the WinSxS cache for you, and is able to apply all its tweaks to the live installation.
Once you've finished, all the editions will create a bootable ISO file from them, as long as the normal image folders (\Boot, \Sources etc) are present.
Version 184.108.40.20690 brings (see full changelog) these new features:
- Components-Win10: ‘Data Sharing Service’
- Components-Win10: ‘Local Profile Assistant Service’
- Components-Win10: ‘Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver’
- UI-Settings: Local Machine and Users merged into a single Settings page
- Settings: ‘Accent color’
- Settings: ‘Accent color on inactive title bars’
- Settings: ‘Always show more details in a file copy dialog’
- Settings: ‘Dark theme for apps’
- Settings: ‘Show accent color on Start, taskbark and action center’
- Settings: ‘Show accent color on title bars’
- Settings: ‘Immersive context menu’
- Components: ‘Portable Device Enumerator Service’ split from ‘Portable Devices’
- Components: ‘Windows Mail Communications DLL’ moved outside of ‘Sync Host’ to preserve MHT compat
- Components: Activation KMS compatibility split
- Components: ‘Appx Deployment Service’ unlocked for removal, does not break start menu any more
- Components: ‘Firewall Service’ split for Win7 too, live removal only, fixes setup error in certain situations
- UI-Components: service names can be used to find the underlying component
- UI: Translator name and email added to the File – Settings
- UI-Translation: Thanks for French (tistou), Dutch (Rene), Spanish (Oleada), Farsi (Mona mon), Arabic (thamermousa), Chinese Simplified (Gskening and jockeysoft), Chinese Traditional (Matt), Portugues-Brasil (Igor)
- Components: ‘SNMP’ leftovers
- Components: ‘TPM’ removal, cumulative update install fix