ScreenHunter Free is a simple screen capture and desktop recording application.
The program supports capturing rectangular areas or the full screen. If that seems a little basic, it's because the best features have been reserved for the commercial builds: capturing fixed areas, freehand shapes, auto-scrolling, applying custom captions or watermarks, running scheduled captures, or automatically capturing images at regular intervals (ie "every 20 seconds for 15 minutes").
The capture is automatically saved as an MP4 or your choice of image format (JPG, PNG, BMP or a single GIF-- not animated). You can optionally turn off image saving for screenshots and simply copy the capture to the clipboard.
The full commercial version also has an editor for immediate image tweaking, and can send captures to the printer or via email. These options aren't available in the Free build, but they are at least greyed out, so you're not constantly clicking something and being told "no, you can't do that".
ScreenHunter gives you the screen capture and desktop-recording basics, and is well implemented (a magnifier helps you precisely position your capture rectangle, for instance). The free build leaves out a lot of functionality, though, and there are more powerful freeware capture tools around.
What's new in 7.0.1195 (see history for more):
- Improved button and icon 4k monitor scaling on dialogs and Image Editor, including menu checkmarks and arrow types
- Fixed a recording pause button bug on high-resolution monitors
- Fine-tune capture: pressing the arrow keys to adjust one pixel at a time. You may hold down Shift to expand, and Ctrl to shrink the area
- Easy to take: Besides mouse-clicking, you may press the Enter key to confirm
- Easy to cancel: pressing the Esc key to cancel capturing anytime. Only when recording, you can set the option to cancel recording or not by pressing Esc, because capturing and recording may happen at the same time.
- Fixed the crosshairs lockup bug. Fast and small footprint again
- Rapid screenshots: when you keep pressing your capture hotkey, it will take multiple screenshots as fast as it can
- Improved memory management on 4K monitors
- Improved the desktop toolbar auto-hide
- Improved ScreenDraw to draw freely on screen and capture right away (details)
- Example: Watch a video on how this was made
- Fixed capturing zoomed screens
- Improved cursors for high resolution monitors
- Improved Text quality and color in Image Editor
- Separated the Save and Save As... menu in Image Editor for quick save
- Removed some garbage symbols on Windows 10
- Single click to show Desktop Toolbar
- New menu item Open File Location in Image Editor for quick file location
- Improved Reset All Defaults to reset all settings, including Image Editor's
- ScreenHunter 7 Pro as your image editor for most image files
- Fixed some bugs
- Improved large cursor in Windows 10