WinMerge is an open source file differencing and merging tool, particularly useful for developers.
At its simplest you can use the program to compare two text files, visually highlighting the differences so it's easy to see what's changed. (Support for Unicode, and Windows, Unix and Mac text file formats mean it should work with just about any regular text file.)
WinMerge also includes a capable editor, with syntax highlighting, line numbers, word wrap and more.
The program is able to compare entire folders of files, too, making WinMerge ideal for identifying what's changed between versions of a project. And it can then merge these modifications with other files, updating them for you as required.
Note that this is the portable version of WinMerge.
An excellent tool that helps you track and control changes across the versions of a software project
WinMerge 2.16.22 changes (see full changelog for more) include:
- Allow renaming of untitled pages (#1395)
- BugFix: "Replace All" doesn't work when Replace in "Selection" and the new string contains the old string. (#1376)
- BugFix: “Match case” in Search always enabled (#1380)
- BugFix: vertical editing for .h file is quite slow (#1386)
- BugFix: replace text using regular expressions behaves incorrectly if multiple matches on the same line (#1387, PR #1388)
- Optimize snake function (PR #1411)
- BugFix: Fix an issue where paths with different case are not displayed correctly in the folder column of the folder compare window when comparing three directories. (PR #1372)
- BugFix: Fix renaming process in folder compare window. (PR #1392)
- BugFix: Elapsed time was no longer displayed in the status bar after folder comparison.
- BugFix: Fix an issue where the folder column is not updated for child items after renaming a directory in the folder compare window. (PR #1408)
- Modify textbox behavior (CompareMSExcelFiles options dialog) (PR #1374)
- Make wsc files available as plug-in (PR #1390)
- Update 7-Zip to 22.00