OpenTTD is an open source remake of the classic business simulation game Transport Tycoon Deluxe, with a host of improvements and extensions.
The program launches with an RTS-like map, dotted with cities (click Options and choose a higher resolution if the 640x480 default doesn't work for you). Your task is to earn money by transporting passengers and cargo across your very own transport network, over land, rail, sea and air.
There's plenty to learn, but the game has a lot of documentation and tutorials to point you in the right direction. OpenTTD's many improvements mean it's much easier to use than the original (drag and drop support, pathfinding for vehicles etc), and although games can have up to 256 players, that's not compulsory. You can learn by playing on your own for a while, or against a computer opponent.
Please note, OpenTTD is designed to use the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe data files. If you don't have the game, download the installer - not the portable version - and during setup it will offer to download free versions of the files.
A fun game with a lot of depth. It's still being actively developed, too, with new features arriving and bugs being fixed all the time.
What's new in 1.10.2 (see full changelog for more)?
- Add: Ubuntu 20.04 packages (#8127)
- Fix: [OSX] Possible crash on failure to set colourspace (#8181)
- Fix #8166: Prevent crash from a NewGRF with an invalid RoadType (#8180)
- Fix #8024: Make Online Content GUI more responsive while loading (#8179)
- Fix #7970: Disable event loop when generating crash dump (#8176)
- Fix: [Build] Compatibility with modern Visual Studio (#8170)
- Fix: Trees would disappear completely after a few years if tree spread was disabled (#8160)
- Fix #8155: Roadtype speed limit in scenario editor toolbar dropdown was doubled (#8156)
- Fix: Desync after house replacement (#8151)
- Fix #8137: New clients can't join (desync) after funding an industry (#8140)
- Fix #8132: Corrupted savegame with station with multiple owners caused a crash (#8134, #8142)
- Fix: Stop gamelog when recovering from a savegame load error (#8133)
- Fix: Exceptionally unlikely issue when reading MIDI files (#8125)
- Fix #8119: Docking areas were not properly updated when clearing, causing desyncs (#8124, #8130)
- Fix #8117: Memory leak for incoming admin port packets (#8122)
- Fix: Non-roadbridges potentially had roadtype information set (#8111)
- Fix #8108: Possible crash on loading TTD savegames with phantom oil rigs (#8109, #8110)
- Fix #8093: Build & refit test run changed game state and could cause desyncs (#8103)
- Fix: [Script] AreWaterTilesConnected did not handle aqueducts properly (#8074